Friday, April 3, 2009

2 reports of interest -- 1 re:the youngers, 1 re:the olders

The Alliance for Childhood released a report today about the importance of lots of time for unstructured play in Kindergarden. I have not read it yet, so I shouldn't be recommending it, but I'm guessing it will give us all a sense of affirmation about our program and provoke questions and conversation about best practice for a 21st education.
GLSEN (The Gay, Lesbian, Straight, Education Network) has also released a report, about the terrible harassment facing transgender middle school students. Again I think we'll be proud of FSP's emphasis on inclusivity and individuality and adult relationships with young people, but it raises a lot of questions about how to help our kids be brave bystanders in the larger world. As always, I'd love to talk about this stuff with people! Kim