Monday, November 9, 2009

Gratitude

Thanksgiving can prompt some angst for me. Am I grateful enough? Teaching my kids enough about how to be thankful? (see the greater good site for why it is important) etc. etc. And yet, I'm also extremely grateful at the potential simplicity of the holiday. It is ok for it to be all about the people.
Kate and I recently read a wonderful picture book illustrating this concept. Fat Chance Thanksgiving by Patricia Larkin tells the story of one girl's ability to create community, just by asking.
I also always like The Perfect Thanksgiving by Ellen Spinelli for humoring my anxiety and emphasizing the ways families can be different but all perfectly fine.
Finally, an old favorite is A Visit To Grandma's by Nancy Carlson. This picture book reveals how possible it is for grandma to grow, change, and lead her family toward new traditions.
What are your special practices? How do you focus on gratitude over cooking-stress? Any favorite Thanksgiving books?