Monday, October 25, 2010

Around and Around and Around...

Quaker meeting was melancholy, for me, this morning.  I watched the sweet 3 year olds, so many with scrumptiously portruding bellies, snuggle up to Lea, and was shocked to recognize that my own sweet little one was across the circle, fully a much bigger kid with sharp elbows.  My first baby turns 11 on Wednesday.   Jonathan spoke to the importance of our rhythm - that the coming together is predicated on separating and resting, and around, and around.  And then James essentially sang to us - such a warm and nurturing experience - and we got to sing too -- about the aroundness of windmills and life.  I love Quaker meeting, and singing, and fall but sometimes I'm struck by the poignancy of time passing that can not be experienced in the same way by those 14 and under... I do wonder what they make of it.

I think James' rendition of this song (Windmills by Alan Bell)  is acutally much lovelier but I don't have him on youtube...