Monday, April 12, 2010

Scary News - BPA in Ball Jar Caps, Uptick in Ticks, and Underage Drinking

  1. I woke up this morning to Craig's news that my use of ball jars as food containers, as a way of avoiding plastic, was fool-hardy.  Turns out, the covers are full of BPA. (Apparently, Tattler Lids are BPA free, although I'm beginning to feel sure that Kristine is right, we can't just buy our way out of this problem...) 
  2. The mild winter has led to a 300% increase in confirmed Lyme disease cases this year, according to Dora Mills.  They are not sure if it is an increase in ticks, or an increase in lyme because we're all outside more in the nicer weather. MPR has a story here . 
  3. Same MPR moment, next story... With prom season coming, issues about underage drinking are in the news. Maine has a new program to address it - TableTalks -- scripted conversations to have with our children and their peers about the issue.  Not sure what age group it is intended for, but I'm guessing I'm supposed to be having more conversations about alcohol, peer pressure and the link than I do... 
Off to look for some good news!